Geek news outlets have been lighting up lately about the recent news surrounding Kevin Smith's debut of Red State at Sundance. Apparently amidst controversy and protest the film opened to... luke warm results. A few years ago I'd have been crushed by this news and probably lashed out at anyone calling him overrated over Facebook or Twitter, (if I had a twitter account.) But as I get older, I'm finding many of the obsessions I had when I was younger fading. Now I'm mature enough to recogognize that Mr. Smith is a filmmaker who made some excellent films that spoke to me at an age when few other works of media did.
That being said, I find my cooling of fandom to be somewhat disconcerting. Is it a sign of maturity or over saturation of media that I can't find anything to stay passionate about. I worry that my inability to remain loyal to an artist that moved me, may be a side effect of this digital ADD society. Of course I know I'm still a Whedonite geek, and a little maturing never hurt anyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment