My new respect for comic writers.

As I re-read my last post in the glaring light of sobriety, I'm realizing that all of the great comic book writers deserve even more credit than I've given them.  As anyone who has studied writing can attest to, it's hard enough to take an idea and realize it into words, let alone break it up into a number of still image descriptions to guide an artist and interweave dialogue to fit in those images all to fit into a certain page count and layout. 
One of the hardest things I've had to overcome in my attempt at comic book writing is that there seems to be no standard way of working.  Every creator seems to have his or her own way of overcoming these hurtles.  Some, who are blessed enough to have artistic as well as literary talent, will thumbnail out the page to  get the images straight in their head, other's work almost in stream of consciousness prose, leaving the formatting and panel layouts completely to the editor or artist. 
For me, since I'm new to this, feel I have to get the story down in a stripped down prose fashion and format the script in revision.  This adds a little extra work but still allows me the room to be a 'discovery writer.'  If there's any comic writers out there reading this I'd love to hear your methods or advice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment